I had the opportunity to see a recent production of “V The Ultimate Variety Show” at the Planet Hollywood Hotel & Casino on the Las Vegas Strip.
Here are my comments and recommendations:
- A good show for the entire family. Kids, grandparents, etc.
- Combines both circus acts with magic and comedians.
- Look for discounted show tickets. I bought mine at the Tix4Tonight booth at the Las Vegas Fashion Mall next to the Treasure Island Resort.
- Every seat in the theater has a good view of the stage. If you want to sit towards the front, I suggest getting their early. Seats are assigned according to your position in line. Front of the line patrons are seated near the front of the theatre.
- The 90 minute show consists of about 8 variety acts. They change from night to night. On this particular night a pair of Argentinian (Gaucho) bull whip artists were the MCs. Their comedy was spot on. Their routine was reminiscent of the Smothers Brothers or Sonny & Cher. One person played dumb while the other person played smart.
- A fast moving show. The South American whippers transitioned to a Ukrainian hula hoop champion, followed by an Eastern European aerial act, then a Russian balancing act.
- A comedy routine in particular was unique whereby audience participants were called upon to sit on stage with facial masks. Each masked participant was asked to follow a set of commands, instructing them how to move their limbs and what to say. Moments into the routine, the audience was laughing hysterically. It was both unique and entertaining.
- Between a few more sketches by the Gauchos, a dancer came on stage and immediately went into a 10 minute routine whereby he danced over 50 different popular dance moves. You’ll be out of breath just watching him.
- My favorite act for the evening was the surprise return of Melinda the magician. Melinda performed in Las Vegas a few years ago until she decided to take some time off to raise a family. She’s back and better than ever. She didn’t skip a beat in her slight of hand magic and elaborate magic props. I hope to see Melinda headline a show of her own on the strip in the not to distance future.
- There are usually 2 performances daily. Check local listing for the schedule.
- The shows official website is http://www.vtheshow.com